Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Edumacation Never Ends



Since moving to Thailand I have been constantly learning new things. I have been discovering a different culture and different types of people here in this land of near psychotic, gun toting, bi-polar, cheating lovely people. Today I would like to focus on the different ways that my vocabulary has been expanding. This is mainly due to spending so much time with the English, Australians, Irish and Americans.

Here are a few examples of my new favourite words:

bogan: person who takes little pride in his appearance, spends his days slacking and drinking beer. I learned this word from Natalie. It is a popular Aussie slang word that is basically the same as white trash.

chav: mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions such as imitation gold, poorly made jewellry and fake designer clothing(often Burberry), combined with elements of working class British street fashion.

ginger: this word is pronounced like "singer" but with a hard 'g'. Like minger, this is a derogatory term for a person with Gingervitus: red hair, light skin, freckles and no soul. It is the same as ginger, pronounced like the spice, but sayin g the other way makes it much more offensive.

dirty sanchez: a disgusting sexual act. It involves the anus, feces, penis, and upper lip. I don't want to go in to detail about how the dirty sanches is done, but I will tell you that it ends with a woman having a moustache drawn on her upper lip with doo-doo on the end of a penis.

slag: one of my favourite words. From the U.K., it is used for a woman that has casual sex with many partners. Slag stands for "She'll Lay Any Guy".

That is the end of my vocab lesson for today, I must get to class now.

No comments: