Friday, November 30, 2007

Reflecting On Kraft Dinner




I recently received a package from my mother in Canada. In this package there were about 15 boxes of Kraft Dinner. This excited me beyond belief! Then one day after I got the blessed package my friend Natalie returned from Bangkok with two boxes of Kraft Dinner from the foreign food supermarket. So I am now fully stocked on the orange delicacy that so many Canadians hold close to their hearts. My new found K.D. wealth has made me think about why I love this cheap food-like substance so much. I have come up with a few reasons:




1) The colour. The flourescent orange is very striking. You know that this dish cannot be boring. How can any food that glows like plutonium not be exciting.




2) The comfort. I am sure that many Canadians and Americans would agree that eating Kraft Dinner takes them back to their childhood. Back to a time when their mothers did not want to make an actual meal, so they boil up a box of K.D. to shut the kids up for a few hours.




3) The memories. Anyone that has gone to university is probably quite familiar with the blue box. It is the staple diet for most university students, and I don't think that any of those university students really mind. The Barenaked Ladies put it best when they declared that if they had a million dollars they would not have to eat Kraft Dinner anymore, but they would...and they would eat more of it!




4) The convenience. No matter what is happening in your life you can always find ten minutes to boil some water and throw in a box of K.D. It takes no effort or brainpower. Perhaps that is also why it is also a favourite of the stoners.




5) The endless possibiities! Kraft Dinner is not just maccoroni and cheese. If you have any kind of imagination you can turn a simple box of K.D. into a culinary work of art. It can be as simple as adding some vegetables or meat. My personal favourite is to add fried ground beef. But bacon works well too. K.D. also makes a great side dish. It goes well with everything.




So, I hope that I have made you think about the relevance and beauty of Kraft Dinner. If you think that I have neglected to mention something very important about this fine product, then please let me know. Praise Cletus!

1 comment:

mom said...

yum yum i wonder if joan has learned how to cook the stuff yet
mom