Thursday, January 3, 2008

So This Was My Holiday....


We had a very good holiday in Khon Kaen. It was very refreshing to spend some time in Thailand in a place other than Lopburi or Bangkok. Esaan is lovely because the people are much friendlier (and hotter), everything is cheaper, and it is not Bangkok!

The trip there was exciting. We rented a van to drive us the five hours to Khon Kaen. About an hour outside of the city, a motorcycle pulled out in front of us and the driver slammed on the brakes. I flew out of my seat and smashed in to the seat in front of me. I scraped my shoulder, elbow and knee but it wasn't too serious. And it was well worth it because I got to see Lou roll out of his seat on the the floor, it was like a cartoon.

Then, after we had been in Khon Kaen for all of 20 minutes, we found ourselves enjoying some traditional Esaan food at MacDonald's. I had something that the local people like to call a Filet-O-Fish.

The first night saw us going to a nightclub and then ***** some text missing due to the fact that family members may be reading this ***** with two whips and an electric cord!!!! Wow, craziest night ever!

The following nights saw much of the same. New Years Eve was quite tame compared to the other nights. We found ourselves at a big club, where I tried to pick a fight with the bouncer but he just kept laughing at me! But, we still had a good night.

We had lunch at the worst steak house ever. We had to place our order twice. Paul and Natalie got enough to feed an army, and it was all terrible(except the steak) and they couldn't figure out the bill. This just added to Paul's already deteriorating mood and mine and Natalies need to hide in our hotel rooms for a while and watch television.

Then, the trip home. We sat on a bus for 8 hours. But, we were still not home. That got us as far as Saraburi, and hour from Lopburi. Unfortunatelly, we had missed the last bus to Lopburi, so we had to stay at a hotel in Saraburi for the night. I have many things to tell you about this hotel, but that must wait for the next post. To be continued.....

No comments: